Salmon and Herb Roll
Picnic season is here! Where we live in California our summers don't permit us to comfortably be outdoors unless we are by a body of water, so picnics only happen in spring or late autumn. Yesterday we took advantage of the beautiful weather and did a little exploring by the creek, collecting wild flowers for a bouquet and just enjoying each others company. Somehow I feel that, when I'm enjoying a meal outdoors, my senses expand and the flavors are enhanced. This Salmon and Herb Roll is something that would be perfect to slice up and pack into a cooler, no utensils required! The bright flavors and fresh herbs in this makes it the perfect addition to any picnic in the open air. Enjoy.
Salmon and Herb Roll
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup minced purple onion
1 cup chopped green onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 12oz pack smoked salmon
1 8oz package cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle the 1 cup of Parmesan cheese evenly over the parchment paper. set aside.
2. Beat the eggs on high for 6 minutes, until pale yellow and aerated. Fold in the chopped fresh dill, purple onion, green onion and the mozzarella cheese very gently, being careful not to lose the aeration. Pour this mixture gently over the parchment paper with the Parmesan cheese and spread out as evenly over the baking sheet. It's all right if some of the Parmesan cheese moves beneath the egg mixture.
3. Bake this for 10 minutes, then let it cool completely. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the cooked egg mixture and invert it onto your working surface.
4. In large bowl, whisk the cream cheese, sour cream, dried dill, ground black pepper and cayenne. Spread this evenly over the egg mixture and top with a single layer of the smoked salmon. Sprinkle the juice of the lemon over the salmon.
5. Using the plastic wrap as assistance, roll up as tight as possible to eliminate air pockets, wrapping it in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours. Enjoy.
All content is my own unless otherwise stated.