This lovely little asparagus appetizer is a great addition to your holiday table or pot luck. They would go perfect with a meaty main course and look beautiful and festive. These were much easier to make than they look and I hope you give them a try. Enjoy!
Roasted Potato Appetizer with Asparagus
Makes about 40 single servings
1 1/2 lbs mini potatoes (about 20), cleaned and halved
4 tablespoons oil of choice
8-10 asparagus spears, clean and dried
1 8-oz brick cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large baking tray, toss together the halved potatoes, oil and the 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender. Remove from baking tray onto a serving platter and let them cool completely (do not wash baking tray).
3. Cut off the bottom inch of each asparagus spear and discard. Cut each spear into thirds on the diagonal. Place them onto the baking tray and shake the tray so the asparagus is covered in the leftover oil from the potatoes. Bake for 2-4 minutes, until tender but still have a bite. Remove and let them cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl combine together the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and fresh chopped parsley until well mixed.
5. Pipe (or dollop) a small amount of the cream cheese filling onto each of the cooled potato halves. It is important that the potatoes are cooled or the filling will start to melt. Top with an asparagus piece. Serve immediately. Enjoy.