Call it a midday snack or call it lunch, but these loaded cheese nachos with shredded chicken in a barbecue sauce made from scratch are a delight! Make sure you and whoever you're sharing these with are ready to eat as soon as these come out of the oven, as they are best when fresh. Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
Ingredients for the BBQ Sauce:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ketchup
2 tablepsoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestshire sauce
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
Ingredients for Nachos:
1 13-16 oz bag of tortilla chips
1 tablespoon oil of choice
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 cups shredded cheese of choice (or more, if desired)
1 cup chopped green onions
Sliced Thai chili peppers (optional)
Fresh chopped cilantro
Lime wedges, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 14 inch cast iron skillet (or regular baking dish) with oil. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, add all of the BBQ sauce ingredients over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the sugar has melted and then for 1 more minute.
3. Add the shredded chicken into the BBQ sauce and mix until all chicken is evenly coated.
4. Assemble the nachos. Add half of the bag of tortilla chips into the bottom of the baking dish or cast iron skillet. Top with half of the chicken, half of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the green onions. Add the rest of the tortilla chips, followed by the rest of the chicken and cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted entirely, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and top with remaining chopped green onions, chili peppers (if using), cilantro and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy.
All content is my own unless otherwise stated