What do I get when I combine my favorite cake flavor with oatmeal? A most delicious breakfast, is what! Feel free to add different kinds of nuts or raisins if that's what you like in your carrot cake, and perhaps use all honey instead of the brown sugar. Make it your own. The frosting on top is, of course, optional and can be omitted for a healthier oatmeal; however, life is short, so why not have frosting for breakfast? Enjoy the little things, friends. Happy Thursday!
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup shredded carrot
Ingredients for frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray (or rub with butter), set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, salt, sweetened coconut and cinnamon and mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add the honey, melted butter, egg, milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add this mixture to the oats mixture and mix until well combined. Fold in the nuts and shredded carrot.
4. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly, then bake for 25-35 minutes until just set and edges are beginning to brown. Remove and let it cool to room temperature.
5. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl and whisk until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes with an electric mixer. Smear this on the cooled oatmeal. Enjoy.
All content is my own unless otherwise stated