Well if these aren't the most delightful summer snack, I don't know what is! End of season strawberries were used here, still as glorious and sweet as ever, providing a beautiful oatmeal bar with lots of chew and flavor. Don't skip out on this; make these today, and enjoy the last few weeks of summer as best as you can. Until next time, friends.
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Yields 9 Bars
1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
3/4 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons melted butter (1 stick)
2 cup diced fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 X 8 baking dish with parchment paper with overhang, enough to easily pull out the bars once baked.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the melted butter and mix until clumps form. Set aside 1/3 cup of the mixture.
3. Press the remaining mixture into the lined baking dish.
4. Add the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice to a bowl and mix until well combined, then spread this over the pressed oats mixture. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the strawberries (the crumbs wont completely cover the fruit).
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the topping is lightly golden brown. Cool bars completely in the pan until they reach room temperature.
6. In a bowl, combine the glaze ingredients until glossy and smooth. Drizzle over the cooled bars. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from I Heart Eating