This is an easy kid-pleasing meal that adults will enjoy too! Cheeseburger flavors, quick prep and clean up- but it didn't come out of a box! I've used one of my very favorite spice mix- Trader Joe's Onion Salt, but I have given an option of substitute spices (see notes below). I hope you give this one a try, and enjoy!
Cheesy Hamburger Macaroni
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 cups macaroni pasta (any pasta will work)
2 cups assorted cheese (such as mozzarella and cheddar)
1 tablespoon oil of choice
1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoon Trader Joe's Onion Salt *
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Salt, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions, minus 1 minute; reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and the chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent. Add in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Trader Joe's Onion Salt* and the black pepper. Leave off the salt for now -we will taste for salt at the end. Mix until well combined and cook another 2 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up to high, and add in the ground beef. Cook the beef, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or spatula, until fully cooked through. Add in the cooked pasta and a little pasta water at a time, until it is well mixed (I ended up using about 2/3 cup).
4. Turn the heat down to low, then mix in the parsley and most of the shredded cheese into the pasta, leaving about 1/2 a cup. Taste for salt, add as needed. Top the pasta with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and cover with a lid. Let it stand on low heat until cheese has melted. Remove from heat. Garnish with extra parsley, if desired. Enjoy.
* You can substitute 3 tablespoons Trader Joe's Onion Salt for 1 tablespoon granulated onion, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon dried chives.
All content is my own unless otherwise stated.