Almond Meal Coconut Cookies
These cookies are such a treat! They are incredibly easy to make and go fast. You can have your kids help roll them out (albeit you may have to help them with the cookie portions), and get creative with the topping. My chocolate dipping hand was shamelessly heavy, but you can go without and even call it a healthy snack for the park! I hope you give these a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy.
Almond Meal Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 1/2 cups almond meal
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
8 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons coconut oil
3/4 cup chopped dark (or milk, as preferred) chocolate
Sliced almonds, for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, add all ingredients for cookies and pulse until well mixed. Do not over mix. You may also mix it by hand in a large bowl.
3. Grease your hands with a small amount of butter and roll a small handful of cookie dough. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly with your hand; cookie should be about 1 cm in thickness. Continue with remaining dough.
4. Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes and let cool about 10 minutes on cookie sheet until slightly hardened. Let cool completely on cookie rack.
5. When cookies are cool completely, make the glaze. Heat chocolate with coconut oil in the microwave until completely melted (make sure to watch your chocolate carefully as it burns easily). Dip each cookie into the chocolate, sprinkle with sliced almonds (if desired), then let it set for 15 minutes. Enjoy!