Every time I have a breakfast or brunch of baked eggs in tomato sauce, it feels like a holiday. How can it not, being a meal into which you can dip crunchy toast and that pairs so well with a cup of earl grey with cream? My girls love this one!
Because this meal is so simple and requires so little, you want to make sure you are getting the best possible quality ingredients you can get. One main ingredient, however, is the dish it's baked in, as it works best in small, individual sized portions rather than in one large baking dish. I hope you'll try this soon!
Baked Eggs in Tomato Sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup mix of shredded cheese of choice
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper, per taste
pinch of crushed pepper
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or herb of choice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small but deep dish, place 1 cup tomato sauce. Make two wells side by side and crack an egg into each well (you may want to crack the egg into a ramekin before dropping the egg into the well of tomato sauce).
3. Carefully sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese around egg yolks, allowing the egg yolks to be exposed.
4. Drizzle 4 tablespoons of heavy cream around the egg yolks, then do the same with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and crushed chili pepper, per taste.
5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until egg yolk is just set. In this case you would not want a runny egg, as it is sitting in tomato sauce.
6. Let cool for a couple of minutes and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy with toast.